RV Insurance Coverages

Comparing full time RV insurance to recreational

Simply put. Full-timer’s RV insurance is for you if you live in your RV (meaning it’s your primary residence for at least 6 months out of the year). Recreational is for you if you don’t (doesn’t matter how many times you use your RV, as long as it’s not your primary residence).

You’ll get many of the same coverages for both. But with full-time RV insurance, you’ll have the option to add a few more coverages that actually seem more like coverages for your home.

No need to declare your RV use right now. Just get an RV insurance quote and we’ll ask the right questions to customize your policy.

Coverages for both recreational and full time RV insurance

Included at no extra cost with comprehensive & collision

Emergency expense

If your travel plans are interrupted, we’ll give you up to $750 for transportation and hotel expenses. If you’d like you can add more coverage.

Small accident forgiveness

We won’t increase your premium because of a claim that costs Southwest Federal Insurance Company $500 or less.

Large accident forgiveness

If you’ve been with us for at least 4 years and have not filed a claim in the last 3 years, we won’t count an accident against you at your next renewal, regardless of what it costs.

Free fire department service charges

If you have to call the fire department, we’ll pay up to $1,000 for costs they may charge you.

Trailer coverage for your motorhome

Pays for physical damage to your utility trailer when it’s on or off the road, up to $2,500. You can purchase additional coverage up to $20,000.

Mexico physical damage

This pays for physical damage to your motorhome or trailer that occurs in Mexico. Most RV insurance policies do not automatically cover damages that happen in Mexico.

Pet injury coverage

This is included for dogs and cats, and we’ll pay up to $1,000 if your pet is injured during a covered accident. The best part is that there are no deductibles for pet injury coverage.

Extra coverages you can add

Full coverage for belongings & personal items

You can get full replacement cost for belongings inside your RV up to $99,000. Replacement cost means that we will give you what it costs to buy new belongings and not the depreciated, estimated value of used items.

RV roadside assistance

If your RV breaks down (within 100 feet of the road), we’ll pay to tow you to the nearest repair shop. You pay nothing out of pocket.

Disappearing deductible

This drops your deductible by 25% each year that you don’t have a claim. Your deductible can even drop all the way down to $0. It stays there until you have a claim and then returns to its original amount. If your agreed value/replacement cost isn’t over $25,000, you can still add a disappearing deductible for an extra cost.

Vacation liability

This pays for injuries that happen at your vacation site, in your RV or the area around your RV up to $10,000. You can add more coverage if needed.

Options for full replacement coverage

You can choose what coverage you want upfront to cover a total loss.

  • Full total loss replacement: You can only select this for newly purchased RVs one model year old or newer. If it’s totaled within 5 model years, we’ll give you what it costs to buy a brand new RV (similar model). And yes, that’s the full cost, even if it costs more than what you originally paid for your RV.Once your RV is outside the five-model year window, we will give you the original purchase price you paid for your RV (this will always be in writing in your policy documents).
  • Market value: You can select this no matter how old your RV is. We’ll give you cash for your RV’s estimated market value.
  • Agreed value: We offer this for select RVs. With this, you basically tell us the value of your RV, and together we’ll agree on a payout number for a total loss. The agreed value will always be in writing in your policy documents, and we won’t depreciate or change this value for up to 10 policy periods.

Coverages just for full time RV insurance (included no extra cost)

Full timer’s personal liability (enhanced coverage)

Included with comprehensive and collision. This is similar to vacation liability and pays for injuries that happen around your RV or on your property. But with full time RV insurance, you can get 10 times more coverage all the way up to $500,000 if needed.

Loss assessment

This pays up to $5,000 for charges, fines or assessments you face from RV/homeowners associations.

Storage shed contents

Covers your belongings stored on your property at full replacement cost, meaning we’ll give you what it costs to buy new belongings, up to $5,000. Belongings inside your RV are covered too.

Standard coverages for both recreational and full time RV insurance

Comprehensive & collision

Pays for damages to your RV caused from accidents or other events including flooding, theft, falling tree limbs, etc. You pick what you pay out of pocket (called your deductible). For example, if you file a claim for $1,500 worth of damage and you have a $500 deductible, you pay $500 out of pocket and we pay the rest. Available for both motorhomes and travel trailers.

Bodily injury & property damage liability (BI/PD)

Pays for damages to other vehicles and injuries to other drivers/passengers. This will also pay for legal expenses if you’re sued over other drivers’ or passengers’ injuries. Available only for motorhomes.

Uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM)

It’s a very common question: what happens if another driver who doesn’t have insurance hits you? Sometimes, that driver will pay for your damages. But if they cannot afford it, you might have to pay. This coverage protects you from that and it comes in two forms: uninsured motorist coverage to pay for your injuries/medical bills and any lost wages if you can’t work and uninsured property damage to pay for any damages to your RV/travel trailer. Available only for motorhomes.

Medical payments

Pays for your (or your passengers’) injuries and medical bills in an accident, no matter who is at fault. You can pick a range of coverage limits. Available only for motorhomes.

Why you need a special RV insurance policy

You may be able to insure your RV on your auto policy, but you’ll probably only get coverage for physical damage and none of the coverages mentioned above. That won’t really do you any good when you’re actually cruising, camping or living in your RV. Plus if you finance your RV, you may be required to get a special, standalone policy.